Möbius Valentine's Hearts
Advanced activity. By cutting, gluing and cutting some more we're going to make a pair of pretty Valentine's interlocking hearts!
- Fold the paper in half lengthways.
- Fold it in half lengthways again.
- Open it out, and cut along the folds to make 4 strips of paper.
- Take one of the strips and put some glue at one end, and stick it to the other end to make a loop. Do the same with a 2nd strip.
- Take a 3rd strip, glue one end, but this time put a twist in the loop before sticking it - remembering which way you twisted it. This is called a Möbius strip.
- Take the last strip, glue the end, and twist it the other way before sticking it.
- With one of the ordinary loops, put a big square of glue on it.
- Stick the other ordinary loop to it at a 90o right angle (perpendicular) to the 1st loop.
- Take one of the Möbius strips and put a big square of glue on it.
- Stick the other Möbius strip to it, again at a 90o angle.
- Cut one of the ordinary loops all the way along its centre - right through where it's been glued to the other loop.
- Open it out.
- Do the same the other way for what was the other loop.
- When you open it out you now have a large square!
- Cut along the centre of one of the Möbius strips - this is tricky due to the shape! It will be easier to cut the area where they are glued to each other last of all.
- Cut along the centre line of the other Möbius strip.
- Continue the centre-line cutting through the area where the Möbius strips were glued to each other.
- Carefully open them out - you will have a pair of interlocking hearts! Awww...